Thursday, October 22, 2009

Getting Used to Things

I've just returned from my second trip home since moving to New York.

For years, landing at JFK has brought a sense of home to my heart, long before moving, but this time, it felt extra strong. I needed that boost.

Trips home always remind me of the things I miss, and how much simpler life was when I was working, living for free, and had a solid group of friends to fall back on. I enjoyed the culture of my ultra-cool hometown/state, and spent time with people I love. It's hard to leave that, and when you're broke and not exactly sure where rent money is coming from, it's even more difficult.

Then, I landed, and I remembered, immediately, like a rush of water, just how at-home I am in New York, and how the Lord has been showing me that for years. When I am here, I see him in a whole different light, and he uses the people around me to reveal himself in that way.

Do I think he will keep me here forever? No.

Do I know where he will send me next? I have my ideas, but No.

This transitional point in life is rough, but his guidance has led me to believe that everything will work out. Somehow, the bills get paid. Somehow, I'm not gonna end up old and bitter and alone. His perfect plan never ceases to amaze me, and the way he's used this city to reveal that to me is something I could not be more thankful for.

On a side note: Laura's wedding was beautiful, and it was fantastic to see so many people I don't get to see very often. Getting to drive (and for MANY hours) was amazing too. I forgot just how much I look forward to road trips by myself as reflection time, and time for prayer. I was the only single woman at this wedding, literally, so the Lord and I, as always, had some long heated discussions on that area of my life while driving through the interstates of Louisiana and Mississippi (he of course, always has to remind me to be patient and to stop looking, which I, of course, am still learning to do). Overall though, I enjoyed the trip, and the people, but I am glad to be back in NY working with the youth. I missed them a whole bunch.

No comments: