Saturday, May 4, 2013

Sweet Words of Wisdom

Someday in the very near future (tomorrow, maybe?) I'll write a second post of the day to discuss the feelings surrounding my internship ending.  In the meantime, I have lots of papers to write and need to focus on that, so everything depends upon how much progress I make in the next day on on class writing.


In the meantime, here's my post of the day from the Story of My Life challenge 

There are so many great quotes - like, the whole Bible pretty much, among other things, so I narrowed it down to a few: 


So this is basically my favorite Bible verse, because it pretty much sums up the rest of the Bible. Every time I read it I feel like I am reading a sweet fairy tale about a great hero to a little kid, except it's not a fairy tale, it's a real story about a real hero. Amazing. (I also just realized "Jesus" is not capitalized in the graphic - but you get the point. 


I am absolutely overwhelmed when I think about the way our love for Christ should translate into our love for others. This quote used to hang in my classroom when I was a teacher. We have a tendency to express our dislike of the world in a way that comes across as hateful, but it is love that wins in the end. It's the LOVE of Christ at saves us, and only he has that ability. I'm also really interested in race relations, which I think is still a huge problem despite the fact that most of white America refuses to admit that, and so anything MLK ever said pretty much makes me want to stand up and clap. If I had to make a list of historic figures I would pay to go back in time to meet, he'd be on of the top dudes on that list. 


This quote from A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is a favorite for so many reasons.  I try to live my life so that each day contains something special. God has given us a wonderful world to enjoy, and we should take advantage. Life is BEAUTIFUL, and even when I'm struggling and feeling down, I try to recognize those moments as part of the agony of life, and something I can use to grow from. I've watched people go through depressions in which they medicated themselves to a point where they could no longer FEEL. That sounds like the worst thing ever! We were created to FEEL, good and bad. I praise God for that, and I hope he will always give me opportunities to feel. 


1 comment:

ThistleAshD said...

Every blog post makes me love you more!

1- completely agree that race relations are far from perfect and white people will not admit that! I have lots to say on that, but probably better in person sometime.

2- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn- my favorite book from my freshman year in high school, hands down