Thursday, June 14, 2007

Having a Purpose

For a few days I was getting really frustrated.

I was starting to really miss home and all that comes with being in Louisiana. The sights, the sounds, the food, and most of all the people. I love New York, there's no doubting that. It has just about everything one could ask for (except for free high speed internet anywhere outside of the college communities- but thats a different rant for a different day), but sometimes this little office space I live in gets a little lonely.

I then started questioning my purpose. I know God has a reason for my being here, but seeing as how I've had ALOT of time off, and have done pretty much nothing related to my project since day one, it's hard to see. Why would I be so far away from all the people I love if there's not a good reason?

So Ema, my excellent supervisor, started making phone calls and has been helping me find things that I can do to help local churches, and has been looking for Paint the Town related stuff that I can work on until the project kicks into full gear. I've helped out at Graffiti the past two days and it has been WONDERFUL. I have felt alot more productive. Kareem, the young-adult minister at Graffiti, suggested that I visit all of my Paint the Town churches and see what they need help with to prepare for the upcoming workweeks. Something so simple and obvious, yet I didn't think of it!

I can tell that those I asked to pray for me to find a purpose have been doing so, and that is very comforting. I'm starting to see more and more what I am doing here, and with being more busy, I'm having less time to dwell on all the things I miss. I still haven't fully grasped what I'm doing here, but I know that will come in time. For now, I'm enjoying every minute of this city and what it has to offer.

No comments: