Thursday, July 26, 2007

As time winds down

I'm leaving the city a week from tommorrow.

Part of me is excited. I get to see my friends and family. I get some jambalaya. I get to hang out in New Orleans.

The other part realizes that leaving the city is not just for a week or two, but it is for good. I will be back in December, but just for a week, and after that, who knows when is the next time I can come visit this place.

I'm not so much sad about leaving the city as I am about leaving the poeple, many of which I won't see again after this Saturday when they leave for youth camp. I've shared some of my greatest lifetime experiences with these people, and the thought of not seeing them again for an indefinite period of time is pretty rough.

I guess I'll just have to get a driveable car so I can make road trips to visit them in their various home states.

It's strange to think about leaving here so soon. The goodbyes have started to roll in already, as some people have told me that they are not going to be here on Sunday and I've had to say goodbye ahead of time. I think leaving church this Sunday is going to be the toughest part. Graffiti has become such a part of my life that it's going to be very difficult to say goodbye and become just another summer missionary who came and went.

I am looking forward to driving again. The subways are okay, but it's so much nicer to be behind the wheel.

No comments: