Sunday, July 29, 2007

Things are getting a little sad around here

Saturday morning, after having spent a wonderful Friday with some amazing people, I got up to say goodbye to those who were leaving for youth camp. By the time they get back, I will be gone.

Friday, Charlotte, Kyle, and I went to Staten Island and rode the railroad all the way out to the end, just to see what was there. What we found looked like Baton Rouge, bridge and all. We then went back to Manhattan to meet up with all of the other summer missionaries and supervisors for a great dinner. Since the only missionary we were missing was Lydia, because she was working, we decided to go visit her at work. There's never an occasion where I turn down the chance for Magnolia Bakery, especially when Lydia is working and we get half-off. On the way to Magnolia, we stopped in Macy's to use the bathroom, and Charlotte found ten dollars on the floor, which she then so graciously used to buy our cupcakes. It was a great last-night-out with the crew.

I went back up to the Upper West Side exhausted, but then packed my bags to go back down to the church (on the Lower East Side- yes the exact opposite side of Manhattan) and spend the night so I wouldn't oversleep to say my goodbyes the next morning. One last sleepover with the friends before we all went our separate ways.

After they left Saturday, I was lazy all day, lounging around the house and trying not to be sad. Ema and I had tickets to the Mets game, so I went down to 34th street just to get out of the house beofore heading out to Flushing for the game. Sadly, the Mets lost, but I am definitely more of a fan than I was before my visit to the great Shea Stadium. I developed a big crush on David Wright, just like every other non-Yankee fan woman in New York.

Today was my last Sunday at Graffiti, so I had to say alot of goodbyes. I'll still be at church all week (as always), but not all of the people will be there. It was sad to be meeting with my smallgroup for the last time until December. They've been great encouragers this summer and definitely will be missed. After church, Ruth, who was one of the first people I met in NY but has been in Michigan for six weeks, invited me to lunch with her family. Her dad had his car, which was nice (the subways are getting super old, I can't WAIT to drive). We went to Brooklyn to see where she is moving this week, and then went to Juniors for lunch and cheesecake (and despite all rumors that it is better, Carnegie cheesecake still beats out Juniors). I then had to say goodbye to here too, because I don't know if I'll be seeing her for the rest of the week, and she just got back!

I'm going to be really sad to leave this place. I didn't think I was going to be, but the closer it approaches, the more I realize how great living in New York can be. I don't know if I necessarily want to move here full-time or anything, but it's going to be sad to leave.

(this is not to say that I am not SUPER excited about returning home to the people I love and miss- I'll see you all this weekend!)

No comments: