Saturday, August 15, 2009

Red Beans and Rice Didn't Miss Her

So, I'm still jobless.

In an effort to relieve the stress of job hunting, as well as an attempt to productively use the time off I've been handed, I am learning to cook.  

My recent interest in all things food has inspired me to stop sitting around TALKING about cooking and watching others cook.  I'm cooking.  

Today's attempt, something cheap and easy for a low-income inexperienced chef: 

Red beans and rice. 

I've always been one to say never trust a recipe.  It's almost always better when you change things up a bit.  When I was in high school, I used to make roll-out cookies all the time, only there was something different about mine, and no one ever knew they were Pillsbury.  I could make them my own. 

Even my pancakes differ from the back of the Jemima box.  I add and tweak to make it unique to me.  Pancakes have become my specialty.  

The red beans and rice were no exception to my add and tweak rule.  I have to say, for my first attempt at such a special dish, they came out pretty darn good. I have some changes I want to make for next time, but isn't that how the best of recipes are created?  

So now, I'm going to enjoy my red beans, which have a unique taste I've never experienced before now.  The rest will be frozen, which means they only get better with time.  

No comments: