Thursday, August 6, 2009

So yes, I'm behind

Life has been a bit crazy.  I apologize for the whole four of you that ever read what I write for being behind.

After returning from Louisiana, we were pretty much  non-stop until after Puerto Rico.  

Children's ministry, as many of you know, is NOT my thing.  I LOVE the babies until they are five, then I don't want to see them again until they're about twelve.  So, for two weeks, I was working with the children's summer camp, and it really pushed me.  our summer camp for kids is from 9-6, so it's a full day.  

The first week was fantastic.  We were out in the city for "See NYC Week," where we took the kids to museums, the Empire State Building, the Statue of Liberty, the Central Park Zoo, etc...  Despite having to get used to a bunch of kids who don't listen the first (or second, or third, or fourteenth) time you tell them to stop walking or to stop talking, I really enjoyed this week.  It made me think I could possibly work with kids more often.  

Then came cheerleading camp, which REALLY tested my patience.  I don't think it helps that I was completely exhausted on the first day, which pretty much set the tone for the rest of the week.  The weather was bad, I was extremely tired, and working with 20 little girls all week really really pushed me.  I'm much better with little boys.  I don't put up well with the whining and crying.  That said, by the end of the week, I was starting to enjoy myself, and wishing I would have started the week off on a more positive note.  

Then came Puerto Rico.  

Can I go back?

I LOVED PR!  The kids loved PR, and after a really rocky start, that made it all worthwhile.  

Our trip down there was horrendous!  After staying up all night, catching a shuttle the airport at 2:30, getting the to the airport before it opened and having to wait outside for forty-five minutes, we finally got on a plane, which took us to DC, where we had to wait two hours, then fly to St. Thomas, where we had to sit on a plane for an hour, then fly to San Juan, wait an hour for our ride to arrive, and drive an hour and a half to Juna Diaz.  So, in total, we ended up traveling something like, 16 hours.  THEN, the kids were a little disappointed that they weren't exactly staying in luxury suites (okay, let's be for real, it was NOTHING like a luxury suite).  Many of them broke out in tears and couldn't wait to go home, but after sleeping, checking out the facility a little bit more, and getting settled in, they realized that they all loved it there. 

Over the course of the week, we got to interact with them and teach them about being true disciples of Christ, as opposed to simply believers.  As always, with working in youth ministry, God used the lessons we were teaching them and helping them to understand, and used them to help me grow in my own faith.  I was dealing with some internal struggles throughout the week, and God really worked on my heart.  

To top all of that off, we were on a beautiful beach of volcanic sand, out in the sun getting a tan, and interacting with some amazing people.  On our last day, we drove out into some woods to find a secluded beach with the clearest water I could ever imagine, and then we ate at a fantastic seafood place.  We shared great conversation, and good downtime.  I could have stayed another month.  

Now that I'm home, I've been trying to job-hunt, which is easier said than done.  I am also preparing for another trip, to Chicago to see Jess.  I leave tomorrow.  We're going to play around in the Windy City for a week while she gets used to her new home.  Considering I've never been and have wanted to go since the fifth grade, I am super duper excited. 

So yes, that is all that has been going on.  I could use some prayer on the whole job-search thing. 

No comments: